The Virgin Prince's War Journal

The grim and gritty side of things. If everyone had a soundtrack to their lives, mine would be the best.

Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Back On Track

To all you beautiful mutants,

Well, I’m certainly glad that’s all over. It’s rare that I should sink into those deep pits of depression, but when I do, it generally lasts little more than a day. You’ll be happy to know that I’m feeling much better now. The low which I found myself trapped in was born on the day I turned 25, when I gained a sudden awareness of my age, my adulthood, my place in life, my own mortality. Many a ruler has died before even reaching my age. Bill Gates was filthy rich before reaching my years. Bud Cort had Harold and Maude to gain him cult-icon status in his youth, but what have I? A motorcycle and a sidecar and an ape sidekick with a tendency to throw feces, some well-worn suits, and several outstanding restraining orders from Mandy Moore, and now, the Olsen twins.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is nothing gained in depression, but rather, now is the time to get things done! ‘Tis the time to further my education. I never should have turned my back and walked out on Batman 101 all those years ago, effectively ending my education. I suppose I’d grown disillusioned with the lesson plan of our substitute teacher, Mr. Cable, who stressed the importance of incredibly large shoulder-pads and thigh-belts. I walked out, convinced I could do better on my own. I realize now it was a mistake to give up so readily on my education.

There is something to be said for following your dreams and doing what you want to do, but there is also a certain value in having something reliable to fall back on, a solid career choice. This is why dual identities exist, why men with the power to toss planets get degrees in journalism, or why masked mystery-men get degrees in chemistry, or men that can see in the dark become doctors. A solid career is just as necessary in this world as gadget-filled tool belts or pre-teen sidekicks.

That reminds me of the time I tried to recruit Hansen to join me in the war on crime. That really failed miserably. Villains kept kidnapping the middle one for use as a “bride of evil” (an unfortunate misunderstanding) and the other two kept scaring the victims they were trying to protect. My reputation was hurt as well, apparently people thought I was running around with the Children of the Corn (or was it the People Under the Stairs? I never can recall).

Looks like I’ll be heading off to strange lands in my near future. There’s been a yearning in my heart, a calling for Canada, particularly, Vancouver, that I think has finally overtaken me. It’s there I wish to go. I intend on getting a student visa and enrolling there for school, my adeptness with numbers leading me to pursue the field of accounting. Thankfully, I’ll still be able to vote, via the absentee ballot, though I’m not sure if those count for anything. Voting is such a mess in this country, that’s my biggest desire, to be here in person on voting day. The sad thing is, this country is powerful. If Bush stays in office, being in Canada won’t keep me safe. America rules the world. The whole world is fearful of the outcome of this election, as the whole world is fearful of Bush.

Personally, I wish the whole world would take a more forceful approach in dealing in America. This country has a lot of its power because the world allows it to have power. But think of the impact the rest of the world could have on us if they stopped allowing McDonalds’ to open up outside of U.S. soil, or if they stopped the sale of American cars. If countries focused on producing their own soft drinks instead of giving in to Pepsi or Coke, or if they produced more of their own television and movies. This world could take such a chunk out of America’s gross abuse of power, if they only utilized the slightest bit of non-violent effort.

That’s my rant. I just wanted to say that if the whole world goes to hell in a hand-basket due to something the U.S. causes, the whole world shares responsibility for failing to do anything. France, Germany, and Canada voiced their displeasure at the invasion of Iraq, but what did they really do about it? The only country with any sort of balls whatsoever is Brazil, far as I can tell. They don’t have much power, but it sure as heck doesn’t stop them from standing up to us.

You go Brazil.

Where was I? Anyway, I have Bobo the Virgin Chimp toiling away at home, going through files and digging up my employment history, birth certificate, and making phone calls to acquire my transcripts and compare insurance rates. There’s the matter of determining the amount of my savings, and then acquiring those funds, that’s what I have to do when I get home. There’s the unused trust fund set aside for my education that’s been largely untouched, and I must determine how much is in there and if the money is in fact, now mine, I having passed a quarter century. In short, there’s a lot of work to be done and things to figure out.

But by damn, I’ll do it.

And soon, you’ll have a whole new pompous jackass to deal with.

Be seeing you,
The Virgin Prince
The Virgin Prince, 2:07 PM